Congratulations! You’ve are engaged and now what? I’m sure your first thought is “Where do we want to get married?” This is one of the fun aspects of planning your wedding. Do you want to have a local wedding, or would you prefer to have a “wedding weekend”?
Here are a few pointers for you to consider ::
1) First, decide on the location. Think of a place that has meaning to you and your fiancé – choose a first, second and third location.
2) Set your budget. Factor in how many guests you want to attend, how much money you’ll need for travel, etc. Set a realistic price range so you’ll have a bit of wiggle room for surprises.
3) Draft your guest list. You’ll want to factor in schedules and location distance. Keep in mind that by having a destination wedding, many of your guests may not be able to attend. You’ll have to decide if this is negotiable for you and your fiancé.
4) Contact a local wedding planner to assist you. Planning a wedding is a full-time job and planning a wedding from afar will only add to your planning adventures. A local planner will know the area, have local contacts to refer as well as being able to scout different locations on your behalf.
5) Develop a website for your guests. You can find several free websites that will allow you to track RSVPs, plan activities, and serve as a central location for your wedding. A few options you can look at are eWedding, mywedding.com and WeddingWire.
There are so many details involved with planning a destination wedding. I encourage you to speak with a few local wedding planners to gain an understanding of what it will take to ensure this is the direction you want to go with your wedding.
Until next time,