When I got married, and getting ready to walk down the aisle, somebody had asked me if I had my marriage license and a wave of panic seeped through my pores. I realized that the marriage license was in my car, parked at my parents house, 3 miles away! So what did I do? Sent my dad to drive back to the house and retrieve the license. Our poor guests had to wait 20 additional minutes for the ceremony to begin.

What’s the lesson in this?

The lesson is to make sure you don’t wait last minute to obtain your marriage license. You will want to give it to your wedding planner (or another trusted person) to hold onto for safe-keeping until the ceremony is over and the license can then be signed.

What are the Colorado requirements for getting a marriage license here?

It’s actually very simply, as I like to refer to “KISS” : Keep it simple silly!

As taken from State of Colorado Arapahoe County website

State of Colorado
A marriage license may be issued in any county and used in any county in the State of Colorado. However, the license must be used within 30 days from the date of issue. The license is issued the day it is applied for and may be used immediately.

Fee for a marriage license is $30. Cash Only.  No Credit Cards or Checks Accepted.

Age Requirements: The legal age without parental consent is 18 years of age.

Identification: Acceptable forms for proof of age are as follows: Drivers License, Passport, Visa, Birth Certificate, Military ID, or state issued ID Card.

Social Security Number: Must be given when applying for a license. If either party does not have a social security number, they must sign an affidavit when applying for the license.

Application Form: Both male and female applicants must appear in person to complete and sign the marriage application. If one party cannot appear,he or she must obtain an ABSENTEE APPLICATION from the Clerk and Recorder’s office. The party applying must bring the absentee application along with identification for the absent party. Applicants need not be residents of Colorado. ABSENTEE APPLICATIONS MUST BE NOTARIZED.

Previous Marriages: If either party has finalized a divorce within 30 days of applying for the marriage license, the final decree must be produced. This decree must be signed by the judge or court referee. If the divorce has been final more than 30 days, divorce information must be given regarding date of divorce, place of divorce and court in which the divorce was finalized.

Ceremony: A marriage may be solemnized by a judge of a court of record, a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by any religious denomination or Indian nation or tribe. As of August 1993, a couple themselves can solemnize their own marriage.


Remember, you’re not legally married until both parties have signed the marriage license along with your two witnesses and officiant.


Until next time,


Digg This